Avalon, New Jersey is quite possibly the nicest beach town on the Jersey Shore. But it’s so much more than just a great beach town. Here are some fun things to do while in Avalon:
Seven Mile Times.com – Everything you want to know about happenings in the Avalon & Stone Harbor area.
Kohler’s Bakery. An Avalon classic, famous for their cream-filled donuts, Philly-style cinnamon buns and coconut macaroons. Definitely worth a stop, but prepare to wait in line.
Avalon Boardwalk. On 29th Street at the boardwalk there’s a small stretch of fun places: the Avalon arcade, a pizza shop and an ice cream parlor. There’s also a skate park and a playground.
Rent a bike. Rent a bike and ride the boardwalk (biking permitted in the early morning hours). Check out Harbor Bike & Beach Shop at 9828 3rd Ave., Stone Harbor.
Play golf. There are many golf courses including the Avalon Golf Club and the Stone Harbor Golf Club. Several Miniature Golf courses in Avalon as well Pirate Island on Dune Drive are a local favorite.
Play tennis. There are also quite a few tennis facilities on the island, 11th Street, 39th Street, and at the Stone Harbor Park diagonally across from the Beachcomber.
Go out to dinner. Some favorites Avalon Restaurants:
- Bobby Dee’s Rock ‘N Chair – has been there forever, good food and a great wine list.
- Princeton Bar & Grills – An Avalon landmark for years, now offers both inside and outside dining. Plus their “P” Shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off – for free!
- Tortilla Flats (Mexican) – has both a dining room and take-out
- Sea Grille – fantastic seafood
- Uncle Bill’s Pancake House – need we say more
Visit The Wetlands Institute. Dune Walks, kayak tours, bird watching at the Wetlands Institute.
Enjoy a concert on the beach.
- 30th Street on the beach - every Saturday and Sunday afternoon from 12:00 to 3:00.
- Veterans Plaza – Friday nights at 7:00. All of the concerts are sponsored by the Avalon Public Library and are free.
Check out the shops in Stone Harbor.
Stone Harbor is another shore town right next door to Avalon. Check out the long stretch of shops and eateries. About a 5-minute drive from The Beachcomber.
Go out for ice cream.
- The Buccaneer -Try the colossal Shipwreck Sundae, which features 12 scoops of ice cream and a boatload of toppings all served in a pirate hat.
- Springers in Stone Harbor – homemade ice cream – so many fab flavors – so little time.
- “Gluten-Free” products can be found at Avalon Bagels and other Avalon locations.
- The largest Annual garden in the U.S.
Quick day trips near Avalon:
Take a short ride to the Ocean City or Wildwood boardwalk. If your kids are really hounding you to go on a boardwalk pier complete with rides, games, and tacky t-shirt shops, the infamous New Jersey boardwalks are within 45 minutes of Avalon. Visit the Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum (NASW). A former World War II Naval dive-bomber training facility located inside Hangar #1 at the Cape May Airport. Great for adults and children. Hit the casinos. The Atlantic City casinos and boardwalk are about 30 minutes form Avalon. Check out the upscale Borgata Casino if you’ve never been there.
VISIT HISTORIC CAPE MAY, NEW JERSEY
A day trip to Cape May is always in order when you’re at the shore. From whale and dolphin watching to nature exhibits and museums, there’s lots to do in historic Cape May. Bring your wallet because there’s plenty of unique shops and restaurants too.
Elaine’s Cape May. Elaine’s is your Cape May place for entertainment, great food, and non-stop laughs! Dinner theater, Themed Dining Experience, Breakfast on the Porch, a Classic Bar, Special Events and more.
Cape May Zoo. The Cape May County Zoo is just minutes from Avalon and best of all it’s free! This awesome zoo spans over 80 acres and houses over 500 exotic animals. Has a kid’s train and carousel.